Monday, March 24, 2008

February 20th 2008



An auspicious day in China - Josh D Wiens, random of all randoms, put down his little cheese sandwich of pickles and Dijon mustard - looked me in the face and said, "Mya? Mya, will you marry me?" I kid you not. I would have regarded this as just a random musing but for the look of absolute astonishment on his face for having asked a question that had been bubbling in him for some time. OF COURSE, I said yes! We waltzed around the room in a daze which later ended in tears (on my part) that we could not share this joyous burden of great news with those we were most dear. (If I have ever felt homesick before it was nothing compared to the agony of being far away when there is GOOD news to tell!) It actually took us about 3 days before we broke down and talked to my parents (Josh is a nervous bundle - showered and collared for the skyping occasion) and then got a hold of his parents that had just returned from a game park in the middle of Kenya. After that, it became a real occasion with a set date and the reality of our decision pulling our dreams out of the air and making them walk and talk.
So we are engaged - here are two pictures of our cute funny faces in Qingdao China and imitating a picture we found in a Tibetian tea house in LiJiang China.

Currently, I am continuing my teaching at Harbin Institute of Technology - adjusting to new classes and new times which are mostly in the evening (hard for my morning inclined self). I now teach a Historical Survey of British Literature course which causes me anxiety but also increasing bliss as I get to actually read literature for WORK! Josh, the lucky one, is now living on a lovely farm in South Central China in the province of Sichuan - learning about big time organic farming in China - working with laughing ladies - and discovering the trials and tribulations of having no indoor heat in a perpetually damp and rather chilly environment. From what I can tell - it is a pretty amazing experience so far. He will continue to do that until June when we will travel a little more (maybe with my younger brother who will be visiting) and then head back to Canada for all the preparations - including apartment and job searching. (so if you hear of any - write me please!)



HURRAH! The Party will come! See you all there!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Ha ha, that is the greatest marriage proposal story I have ever heard. It has Josh written all over it. This is Josh's friend Jordan, by the way, and I can't help but feel envious of yours and Josh's travels all over the world. Have a great time over there and enjoy your engagement, congratulations!